Monday, April 11, 2011

Oriental Sunday: Shi Lin

My love for Chinese food runs deep in my blood - my mom made sure of it.
We are the type of family who spends weekends shunning a menu and picking everything attractive in a dimsum cart, we are the family who goes to Baguio and eats almost daily at the old Chinese restaurant along Session Road instead of pigging out on strawberry jam, we are the family who can tell which fried rice comes from which resto with just 1 spoonful. We love it all - from Chowking to Binondo.

That's why when the boyfriend asked me where I wanted to eat after we were done window shopping at the Podium, I immediately answered Shi Lin.

Shi Lin is relatively new and has garnered some great reviews on several blogs. Their biggest draw is the now fashionable "shao long bao" - bite-sized meat dumplings that have soup inside the dumpling skin.


The restuarant's version was pretty good - the soup is hot, the meat is tender and the skin is sufficiently thin. They're not the best that I've had but for the price point, I'd say it's worth an order.


What I did love are the Spicy Shrimp Dumplings. Basically, 6 dumplings, filled to bursting with shrimp and pork, served swimming in a spicy broth-like sauce. Each bite packs a wallop of flavor and you just can't help but dribble the excess sauce on your rice.


Not that the fried rice needed any more flavor. Another of my Shi Lin faves is their shrimp and pork rice. It is very similar to the famous Yang Chow fried rice but with less vegetables. What I like about it is that it is very eggy. I looooove eggs on my rice and this is very simply yolk heaven.

I was so enamored with it, that I admit, I forgot to take a picture. :p

But! I did take a picture of the boyfriend's fried porkchop with rice. A steal at 189 pesos. It has the same eggy rice underneath and the porkchop is well-cooked, flavorful and has strong taste similarities to kikiam.


Shi Lin is worth the visit. And very deserving of this - another good blog review.

*Shi Lin is located at the 3rd floor of Podium mall

No comments:

Post a Comment